A Potty Mouth Confesses



The food you put into your mouth doesn't make you unclean and unfit to worship God. The bad words that come out of your mouth are what make you unclean. -Matthew 15:11

*Note*
This post is in NO WAY written to judge anyone. It is about ME and holding myself accountable for my actions.

I read this yesterday morning and immediately called my baby sister. I come from a loving family. We are there for one another in many ways, but we are indeed a family of potty mouths. Yes. We Cuss like it's nobody's business! Since I've been on this journey of getting closer to God I've been battling my mouth. I know I shouldn't cuss around my kid, but I have and I will have to answer for that. I tell her daily don't do as I do (concerning the cussing). As I said earlier I've been trying so very hard to be mindful of my words.

After reading this verse something clicked within me. Of course verse 19 goes on to say the things which shouldn't come from my lips, but in my case cussing is the Big picture. Reading that verse made me feel as if I was caught red handed doing a bad thing. I want to please my Father and I want to set a better example for my child. I don't want a potty mouth. Never did, but it is a learned behavior. A learned behavior that can only be removed by Him. So, after talking to my sister I asked God to remove this behavior from my life. I do not wish to be unclean within His eyes or anyone who knows and loves me. I can not grow and hold on to bad behaviors. I believe this behavior will be removed and I will be so grateful and joyful for it!

I'm Grateful For:
*A Good Night's Sleep
*His Love & Mercy
*The Wisdom & Strength To Acknowledge My Mistakes
*A Beautiful Day Ahead Of Me
*Family

18 comments:

  1. Oh Tabby! Please do not be hard on yourself. It's not the words. It's the intentions behind them, and nothing and no one can ever convince me that your intentions are ever bad.

    Cussing is like a verbal twitch. It's good to watch who you cuss around but sometimes, it just happens.

    You are loved by all, and that includes your Father :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *sigh* me too...I don't use it a lot but sometimes it slips out! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Tabitha...we do need to mind our words, and not just foul or bad language...we need to remember to speak well of ourselves and others; to speak words of kindness and love to ourselves and others.

    Acknowledging our mistakes is something we must all do. Once we acknowledge them it is easier to correct them or make amends. Your thoughts fill so many possibilities. I'm glad you shared them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can outcuss a sailor. A drunken sailor. I cuss in 4 languages. There is a blue cloud of "bad words" above my head most of the time. LOL. I don't cuss AT people. I just cuss. Who knows the plans god has for each? Of course, we have different religions, but I figure I cuss for a reason, perhaps not known to me, but certainly known to god!

    I like you exactly as you are! But if you are distressed, I hope a change will come to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Genie: I pray I am not being hard on myself. You are correct my intentions are never bad and I NEVER cuss at people. I will hold your words near my heart as a gentle reminder.

    Darsden: I believe it slips out with me as well. I've heard it for so long it's as if it's our own family language or something. :)

    Sherry Lee: I agree! Once we acknowledge them it is easier to correct them or make amends. Thank you for your comment!

    Old Dame Penniwig: I don't cuss at people either, but boy can I ever cuss! I thought about it a great deal last night and although I may slip I will indeed watch my language around my daughter. Maybe we all cuss for a reason, but I wish to not cuss so much. :)

    As for different religions? I don't have a particular religion. I am a child of God trying to find my way to Him. *Hugs To You*

    ReplyDelete
  6. your pure heartfelt honesty is so refreshing Tabitha. But Genie is right about not being too hard on yourself -- we are all perfectly imperfect -- and I think God is perfectly ok with that.

    thanks so much for your honesty -- it's so great to know that we're not alone on our journeys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you judge me! Who gave you permission to convict me today? LOL. Oh, the words, the words. We all say things that we should not, and you are certainly not alone. Thank you for putting that Bible verse in front of my face today, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your words are wise and the scriptures are right on. It's always good to guard ourselves...our hearts, eyes, mouths, minds. I'm speaking to myself too. This was a great reminder for me. Thanks for being so open and honest in your post!

    Thank you for stopping by my blog and being a follower! I went to your other blog as well and I think you are a wonderful person! It's apparent that you have a big heart!

    Hope you're having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Tabitha I have something for you over at my blog, won't ya come get it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are not alone sweetie :) I do the same somtimes, I think we all do.

    Good for you for being honest and wanting to make a change!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep at it. It will get easier! Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Chris...time...time and prayer....!!!

    I do believe you can ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is something I'm terrible at. I have gotten better, but I can't seem to shake it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel as Genie does. Please don't be so hard on yourself, Tabitha. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amen, Tabitha! And He can do it!! That's why we need the Lord because we could never do it on our own!!

    So proud of you!!!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Tabby,
    While I agree - don't be too hard on yourself - I'd also like to acknowledge that you're taking an important step by honestly writing this here, and talking to your sister. I wish you the best as you tackle this, my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  17. New follower and a SITSta here. Glad I found you. Love your to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great post. Thank you for sharing your heart. This particular issue isn't my struggle but I have other learned behaviors that I need to turn over to the Lord if they're going to be removed completely

    So often, I wrestle with those behaviors completely on my own without just taking them to the Lord and asking Him to remove them from me.

    Thanks for the reminder.
    Kimba

    ReplyDelete

You bless me with your presence! Tabitha♥

Total Pageviews