Seeing Past the Coffee Induced Haze

Two years ago I was not a coffee drinker.  An acquaintance raved about it and insisted that I try it, so I did.  It was awesome!  I was suddenly drinking coffee every morning.  A few days ago I decided I would not have coffee this morning and I noticed something ugly going on.  My body was craving it!  I felt sluggish and couldn't concentrate, so I decided I needed to get that monkey off of my back.  I haven't had coffee in 5 days and it has been a crazy experience.  I knew what withdrawals were, but had never went through them myself until coffee entered my life.

I don't care to be addicted to a drink or even medication for that matter.  I've seen what being addicted to drugs or prescribed medication can do to a being.  I've watched a few loved ones go through it, which is why I try very hard to not even tempt fate in that way.  I failed with coffee.  Without even knowing it I became addicted.  As I type this I am jittery and I feel as if the energy is being drained from my body, but I can not give in.  The only thing/person I want to be addicted to is God (and chocolate).  I truly dislike what my body is going through and I feel deeply guilty about it, but such is life.  We live and we learn.  My love affair with coffee was nice, but I think I'll stick to my Crystal light and Snapple thankyouverymuch!

Have you ever experienced an addiction?  How did you get through it?

8 comments:

  1. Ha! God and chocolate. :)

    I've never gone through an addiction personally, but my mom is like that with coffee. And I know someone who had a wicked withdrawal from Coke products (like the drink).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your encouragement, prayers, and support.
    Blessings,
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you as you fight this addiction sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love coffee and don't have any plans of quitting any time soon, I did stop drink it for a while a few years ago and it was hard, I recommend you to eat raw celery as it helps with the headache of the withdrawal, Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tabitha,

    I too face the dreaded coffee addiction and I get the worst headaches when I attempt to quit, so now I drink decaffeinated green tea and it gives me the soothing warm of the coffee without all the caffeine.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's the caffeine in it, Tabby. I drink decaf, the naturally decaf, and that way I can have the coffee taste and experience but no addiction!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One addiction is worth it: Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.

    Yes, He is our magnificent obsession. We can be addicted to Him, yes?

    Love you, sweetie.

    Hope your body recovers soon. ~smooch~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I drink coffee everyday even in the summer. People look at me like I'm crazy when I walk around with my triple latte in 90+ degree weather. I enjoy it but I wouldn't say I am addicted. Just one cup does it for me each morning. I have gone without it and yes, it does have some side effects. I get really cranky. But I hear chocolate has caffeine in it too. That is the "drug" that wrecks havoc on the system. If I had to (hopefully never) I could go without it though. Good luck and with time, the symptoms will soon pass. Enjoy your chocolate haven :)

    ReplyDelete

You bless me with your presence! Tabitha♥

Total Pageviews